I think onions are truly the cream of the harvest in my garden. They are one root vegetable that deserves attention mainly because of their therapeutic value. They are perfect to keep on hand not only for adding great flavor to almost any dish but also as part of your whole food home remedy kit.
Here are just some of the reasons why onions deserve a round of applause:
- Onions contain high levels of vitamin C, folate, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, potassium and magnesium. They are also high in the very powerful antioxidant quercetin that has been shown to protect against a number of types of cancer, boost immunity and reduce the impact of cataracts. In addition, quercetin can have a positive impact on heart health and keep blood flowing freely. Tip: Yellow onions have more quercetin than red onions
- If you have tooth pain, try chewing on a raw onion for a bit. in addition to numbing pain, they also kill germs and help prevent tooth and gum disorders. Simply cut off a small piece of raw onion and chew on it – brush afterward.
- Onions help break up mucus and ease congestion in the chest while reducing coughing. The best way, I have found, to use onions for this is to make a chest poultice and apply it externally.
Making a Poultice
To make a poultice, slice an onion and add one tablespoon of water. Cook on medium until the water is gone. Let the onion cool and wrap it in a small tea towel and secure it with a rubber band. Place on the chest or back for about 30 minutes. Repeat as needed once every 3 hours.
More Ways to Use Onions for Health
- My eldest daughter had trouble with ear infections when she was little and I found onions to be an effective way to manage her pain. To help with the pain you can roast an onion and when it has cooled to warm place it on the infected ear, This will help reduce inflammation and fight off bacteria. You can also squeeze the juice from the onion and place a few drops in each ear. I always found that it was best to treat both ears even though only one might be infected – an ear infection can spread rapidly. Tip: If you are going to use the juice, be sure the onion is well strained.
- Onions are amazing for removing an infection from the skin. I use a fresh piece of onion to draw out bee stingers and poison as well as pus from boils.
- Eating more onions helps to boost immunity by encouraging healthy bacteria in the gut. Onions contain fructooligosaccharides that help the growth of beneficial bacteria and reduce the amount to harmful bacteria.
- Eating more onions can also help reduce blood sugar. They are a great food to eat if you are insulin resistant.