Insomnia is not only frustrating and exhausting, but inadequate sleep can actually increase your risk for several concerning health issues such as type 2 diabetes, depression, and high blood pressure. It is time to take control of your sleep for good and eliminate those restless nights. Along with a healthy sleep routine and cutting back on caffeine late in the day, these tonics can help lull you to a great night of rest.
Creamy Moonlight Rose Tonic
Montmorency tart cherry juice is a great natural source of melatonin while ashwagandha can help clear your mind and shut off those racing thoughts. Enjoy this soothing tonic before bed to help guide you into a deep, restful sleep.
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup unsweetened Montmorency tart cherry juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp ashwagandha powder
- Dried culinary rose petals
- Combine almond milk and cherry juice in a small pot over medium-low heat until warm. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Remove from heat and stir in honey and ashwagandha.
- Top with rose petals and drink immediately.
- If you desire a more frothy drink, you can add the warm liquid to the blender for about 20 seconds.
Sleepy Pumpkin Spice Drink
Sipping on a warm drink has a wonderful effect on the mind and the body and can cause you to wind down and prepare for bed. As the weather cools and the popularity of pumpkin spice skyrockets, there’s nothing like a naturally sweet evening treat to warm you up and help you relax.
- 2½ cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Real whipped cream and walnuts for garnish, optional
- Add all ingredients to a small pot on medium-low heat and whisk together.
- Heat until well combined, and no lumps remain.
- Enjoy immediately and garnish with cinnamon, real whipped cream, and finely chopped walnuts.
Lullaby Lavender Milk
Without any actual milk, this recipe is excellent for those with dietary restrictions and will bring you to a place of pure, blissful oblivion for the entire night.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 Tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Two pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp dried edible lavender buds
- 2 tsp honey plus more to taste
- Blend water, hemp seeds, walnuts, vanilla, and salt in a high-speed blender until the mixture is smooth and a “milk-like” consistency is formed. (If you want to skip this step, you can simply use unsweetened almond milk and add vanilla)
- Add mixture to a small saucepan over medium heat until bubbles begin to form and it is warm. It doesn’t need to boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in lavender.
- Steep for 10 minutes and strain through a fine-mesh strainer.
- Stir in honey, as needed and serve immediately. You may need to rewarm it if you like a hotter drink.
Golden Turmeric Tonic
Turmeric is a known sleep aid, and this golden milk is incredibly easy to put together and enjoy. Remember, turmeric does tend to stain so be sure to wash it off any surfaces or utensils as soon as possible.
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk
- Pinch of cardamom
- Pinch of ginger
- Pinch of turmeric
- Pinch of pepper
- Raw honey
- Add milk and spices to a small pot over medium heat. Adjust spices as needed for optimal flavor.
- Whisking regularly, bring milk to a small steam.
- Add raw honey and whisk well to combine. Taste and add more if needed.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy this gold milk right before bed.
Minty Hemp Hot Chocolate
Hot cocoa is a beloved nighttime drink, especially on cold winter nights when you need something to clear your mind. This healthy, dairy-free peppermint twist on typical hot cocoa has a dash of hemp that will reduce anxiety and give you sweet dreams.
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp cashew butter
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil (food grade)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ cups hot water
- Simply add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth!
- You may have to reheat after blending.
- If smoother consistency is desired, substitute water for warmed-up almond milk.
What bedtime tonics do you love? Let us know in the comments below!