You may want to turn that frown upside down. Along with several other things such as dramatic expressions, sleeping on your side, aging, smoking, or excessive UV exposure, frowning can cause forehead wrinkles. These face wrinkles are often virtually invisible to anyone else but could make you feel self-conscious. Plus, they could be a sign of skin damage and act as a wakeup call that will inspire you to start looking after your skin. Rather than hiding your forehead under bangs or a hat, try these simple, natural tricks to tighten your skin and reduce fine lines.
This product is a natural anti-inflammatory liquid that has astringent properties. Created from the bark and leaves of the wich hazel tree, it is totally chemical-free and can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Witch hazel tones and firms the skin and can even clear your pores and reduce acne, so it is often added to many commercial skin and beauty products. You can buy it alone, however, and use a cotton pad to sweep it over your face daily. Moisturizer, sunscreen and other skincare products can be applied over it since it soaks into the skin.
Massaging your face stimulates blood flow and can repair damaged tissue. If you strain your eyes and face a lot by looking at a computer screen all day, a simple forehead massage could help relieve tension. Use a face-safe oil that won’t clog your pores and massage your forehead with gentle circular motions for at least 10-minutes every day.
Olive oil and baking soda
These two innocuous pantry staples may not seem like much, but the exfoliating effects of baking soda combine with the beloved moisturizing benefits of olive oil work to enrich your skin and banish those forehead wrinkles for good.
- Soak a clean washcloth in hot water and place it on your forehead. Leave it there for five minutes.
- Then, remove the washcloth and work 1 tsp of olive oil into your forehead.
- Reheat the washcloth and place it on your olive-oil anointed forehead for an additional five minutes.
- Then combine 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp baking soda to create a paste.
- Rub this gently into your forehead. Baking soda is fairly coarse, so be careful not to rub too hard.
- For the last time, warm the washcloth and place it over the paste for five minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat this process once per week.
Your biceps aren’t the only muscles that need to be exercised. Practice facial stretching to keep the muscles in your face active and rescue the appearance of wrinkles. This exercise works by stimulating collagen and elastin production for tighter skin. As an added bonus, you can do it right at your desk. Though the stares from your coworkers may be a little disconcerting. Close your eyes, relax your face, and place your fingertips in the center of your forehead. Simply apply slight pressure and stretch your skin towards your temples and move back. Do this a few times every session. Repeat six times per day, and you will notice less forehead wrinkling in no time.
Eat wrinkle-fighting foods
As always, it is best to start the healing process from within. Cut out anti-inflammatory foods that are high in sugar and processed wheat and include these antioxidant-rich whole foods in your diet to decrease wrinkles:
- Chaga mushrooms
- Goji berries
- Sweet potatoes
- Yellow bell peppers
- Mustard greens
- Rice bran
Avocado is not only a great source of healthy fat, but it is also an outstanding beauty product. This green treasure is loaded with fatty acids and essential vitamins and minerals that reduce free radicals and moisturize the skin. It also creates a protective layer that shields your skin from harmful, air-borne toxins without clogging your pores.
- Mash ½ of an avocado in a small bowl.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp plain greek yogurt.
- Use your fingers or a beauty spatula and apply this mask to your face. Make sure to apply evenly.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes while you relax in the tub with a glass of wine and your favorite book. Unlike other wrinkle-reducing, chemical masks, this is totally safe to leave on your skin for a longer period and won’t burn your face.
- Rinse off the avocado mask with warm water and a damp washcloth.
- Dry skin with a towel and follow with witch hazel to remove any lingering mask and cleanse your pores.
- Repeat this process every day or every other day. It won’t dry out your skin from over use so feel free to use it as often as you wish.